Monday, February 25, 2008

I am who I act like . . .

In spite of the problems with saying I am not my past, I "know" I am not.

We are exactly what we do today. A mean nasty person who gets up one day and makes a choice to ACT nice and who keeps that commitment is in fact a nice person. Frankly even if they still harbor mean nasty thoughts! If they choose to say nice things and do nice things and make good choices then their internal struggles are not important.

I think I am saying that we are the person we act like we are. I don't think you can be a miser if you act generous and give, a coward if you face your fears and act brave, sad if you act happy all the time, or stupid if you do smart things. Conversely, a friend is not if their actions don't show it, a lover is not if they don't express it, and a smart person who acts stupidly is for all practical purposes, stupid.

The point of all that is that changing who we are would seem then to be a decision to act followed by the actions. If there is a way I want to be, all I need to do is behave as that person would behave and I am there! Instantly! No ramp up time, no waiting! As soon as I act like that person I am him!

No comments: