Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Do you need what you want or want what you need or . . .

You don't always get what you want, you get what you neeeeed!

Really?

What this country needs is a good 5cent cigar!

What he needs is a good swift kick in the rear!

I need to get laid, (really!)

I really need a vacation!

I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way . . .

I taught first graders for Junior Achievement for a while. Six weeks on wants versus needs and who in our community provides our needs and of course what we need to get what we need. If memory serves it was a pretty short list:
  • Food
  • Water
  • Clothing
  • Shelter

At the most basic level aren't those the needs?

Maslow had his little heirarchy of needs and somewhere along the way he came to love and respect and all those things. Needs.

So how did we get from thinking that needs are things we must have to survive and can then be thought of as good things (see the big 4 above) to things that will contribute to our happiness and comfort (love, respect, purpose, etc) and then finally to the things that karma says we deserve (the swift kick in the rear).

It occurs to me that if I didn't have those basic needs covered I wouldn't be here anyway. Dead for lack of those things so maybe it's just that we take those basic needs for granted but like the word and the concept of necessity . . . do we have a need for needing . . .

I don't know anymore what I need to do.

I am not always sure that know what I want- to be, to have, to do.

Funny thing is, I think the only thing I really need to do, is to keep doing.

No comments: